Friday, September 9, 2011

Writing From the Heart

In my Writer's Workshop, I provide a mini-lesson, usually share a read aloud that incorporates the skill that I would like my writers to try out, model that skill in my own writing, and then students have the opportunity to write about a topic of their choice for about 20-30 minutes, applying the skill that I just taught. At the end of Writer's Workshop, it is important to share and celebrate each others' writing. We have been working on gathering ideas, since the most prevalent issue that some young writers (and adults, for that matter!) face is what to write about. We discussed the importance of writing from the heart. That is, writing about what matters to us. My writers filled out a heart-shaped graphic organizer, to include people they care about, places they've visited, and memorable moments and experiences. I advised them not to fill their entire heart up, as to make room for future important people, places, and things. Here's how they turned out:

 
I can't wait to see what they come up with during Writer's Workshop!

3 comments:

  1. I did thiese this year when I taught summer school. I really like this activity. It is a good way to get to know your kids and it gives them great ideas to write about. Your kids did a nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Heather, this is such a great idea! We also wanted to let you know that your contribution to our Bucket-Filling Guide will be posted tomorrow morning! Make sure you download it, and please accept our sincere thanks for your participation!

    Colleen Cadieux, Marygrove MAT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I may try it myself. Glad I found your blog. I am now a follower!

    Lifelong Learning

    ReplyDelete